Friday 7 May 2010

Rosettes and Fizzy Ribena - my election night in Harlow

Running a local business means I feel much more a part of the local community than I ever did as a commuter to the City of London. It also means I get more sleep now that I do not have to commute 1½ hours a day.

However I am suffering from sleep deprivation this morning! Last night I had the opportunity of attending the Harlow election count. This was an interesting experience which I recommend if you ever get the chance - even if, like me, you are not particularly active other than casting your vote when called upon to do so.

At A-Star Nutrition we concentrate on giving dietary advice however other lifestyle choices which can also impact on our health - such as insufficient sleep – are discussed if applicable.

We are not sure why we sleep but here are ten good reasons for making sure we get plenty of it.

1. It may improve our memory. Our dreams seem to be about filing away recent incidents for future use.
2. It seems to help boost our immunity.
3. Sleep also seems to help us maintain calmness of mood.
4. Chronic sleep deprivation may increase the chances of weight gain
5. There is less chance of having an accident if you sleep adequately.
6. The liver seems to do more detoxifying whilst you sleep.
7. Lack of sleep seems bad for the cardiovascular system.
8. Learning is easier with plenty of sleep.
9. Concentration is better after a good night’s sleep.
10. Inflammatory diseases (eg arthritis) are greater in those who do not sleep well.

Many at the count last night had been working exceptionally hard and the only food to sustain them through the long night ahead were chocolate bars and fizzy drinks. Although it was particularly heartening to see rosetted representatives from the two major parties working so well together consolidating their change for snacks at the vending machine! I wished I had been allowed a camera to take a picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment